Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Wednesday Sketch

Winter decided to share a season's worth of snow over the past three weeks here in Maine. The last storm left behind a thick layer that coated every last branch and it was gorgeous.
As I looked out at the woods, I imagined a Snow Queen stepping out from between the laden branches to survey her domain. The image in my head changed quite a bit while I was drawing it this morning. She was originally more angular with an elaborate, wide skirted dress, but when I sketched that form on the paper it wasn't right at all. I'm happy with the ice crystal headpieces and I guess she's more of an Ice/Frost Queen.
This image is from the morning after the storm. Everything sparkling in the sunlight and before the snow started falling off of the branches.
It's snowing again as I write this post with another 8-12 inches in the forecast. Whew! Spring will be especially glorious this year after all of this winter weather.

It's all about writing contests and resources this week!

Marcie Colleen is hosting a Food Fight writing contest on her blog. Sign ups start now and the winner will receive a free registration for the Picture Book Academy's self-paced e-course "Writing Wonderful Character-Driven Picture Books." I enrolled in the Craft and Business of Writing Children's Picture Books and it was a great experience. I imagine this course will be just as wonderful!

The next Craft and Business of Writing Children's Picture Books e-course starts March 11th and you may be able to find a spot if you're interested. Mira is a treasure trove of information so take advantage of the knowledge she's sharing.

Speaking of courses, Susanna Leonard Hill may still have an opening or two for her March session of Making Picture Book Magic. The comments from people taking the first session of this course have been very positive and this one is on my list for this year. I'll enroll the fall when I have the space to focus on the information. You don't have to wait, though!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Susanna needs to share her secret for time management. In addition to her picture book writing course and her own writing work, she's hosting a Spring writing contest. The winner here will have the opportunity to send a picture book manuscript to Laura Galvin, editor at kidsbooks.

So pick up those notebooks, laptops or random scraps of envelopes and start writing!

10 comments:

  1. I've signed up for Mira's course. i'm very excited. A Narnia feel to today's blog, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything around my house has had a Narnia feel to it lately! Perhaps Mr. Tumnus will pop out next. Good luck with Mira's course, I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. My daughter was late to school one day this week because I was snapping so many photos of the gorgeous snow covered trees and sparkling blue sky. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, indeed! A good reason to be late, but what did they write on the tardy slip?

      Delete
  3. I agree with Joanna...a Narnia feel. Lovely photos and drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought "Narnia" too! She looks a bit like the evil girl from it (Janus, Jadus, I forget! :( ), but much kinder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, much kinder than Jadis! She was a nasty piece of work.

      Delete
  5. I like your Ice Queen. Is she a companion to Father Frost, his more upscale counterpart, or a stand alone figure in on a snowy stage? Yes, March is definitely coming in like a lion. So much to do, so much to do... Thanks for sharing the information about the contests and classes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she operates alone. At least, I didn't get the sense that she had a counterpart. March is quite full over here, too!

      Delete