Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wednesday Work

In the midst of my projects, I am trying to remember to keep up with my sketching. This is the place where larger ideas are born and it's nice to play with images in a loose, light way. I have books on the mind this week. Probably because we're picking up a couple of bookcases today.
I often jot notes to myself on the corners of the pages. This one says "dog spit on my sketchbook." Apparently this was a problem as I was drawing.
Lots of fun links this week!

Julie Hedlund's A Troop is a Group of Monkeys App is finally available in the iTunes store! We picked up our copy and it's a fun addition to our iPad selection. Joanna Marple reviews it on her blog. Congratulations on your first published book, Julie!

Carrie Finison at Storypatch has been working her way through Ann Whitford Paul's Writing Picture Books: A HAnds-On Guide from Story Creation to Publication. Carrie's companion posts to each chapter have been a very helpful to me as I work my way through the book.

Polly Dunbar writes about the delicate balance between words and images in picture books.

If you've ever read any of the Gossie and Friends books, you must read this interview with Oliver Dunrea. 

And just in case you missed last week's Poetry Friday at No Water River, here is your chance to see the abridged abridged version of Romeo and Juliet. The beautiful artwork of Julie Rowan-Zoch is featured as well.

10 comments:

  1. Really like the second sketch, especially the little bird reading over the tortoise's shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He was a last minute addition.

      Delete
  2. LOVE the sketches, Heather, and I'm with Joanna - the little bird reading over the tortoise's shoulder is wonderful! Thanks for all the great links :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the idea of animals reading books. :) Enjoy the links!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful...and I'm going with the crowd. The second is my fave, but both inspire me. I look at your drawings and story possibilities wander around in my head :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love the idea that these sketches could inspire a story! Happy writing :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. You are awesome!!! Thank you so much! You made my day :)

      Delete
  5. Both sketches are cute, but I'm with the others that the second is my favorite.
    The tilt of heads spikes my curiosity. What are they reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bear loves a good romance and the turtle is fascinated by travel and world history. The wee bird can tell the turtle about the different places she's travelled on migration.

      Delete