Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Working Out a Book Dummy

This week I have been working on a book dummy for one of my own projects. In order to break down the manuscript, I cut it up and staple it together to see how it flows with page turns. Then I pick out the staples, cut, tape, re-staple and repeat several more times until it works.
After the manuscript is set, I sketch out a series of thumbnails to see how the images work together. This time I cut out the thumbnails and taped them together into a tiny book. It's easier for me to see what I want to change if I'm looking at it in the final format. The next step is to start working on full scale roughs, make any needed adjustments and then on to the final images.
Since I can't share what I'm working on right now, I'll share a geek sketch from this week. We love Dr. Who around here and I had a bit of fun drawing the eleventh doctor as a seven year old kiddo. 
A few good posts around the internet this week:

Will Terry shares his thoughts in a video titled New Ways to Market Your Illustration. It's well worth the time to watch, as are his other videos.

If you're feeling clever, visit David L. Harrison's blog to Caption That Cartoon.

Barbara Franc has created these beautiful birds from recycled metal pieces.

Steven Salerno has a new book BOOM! which will be out this year and he has a great post detailing his artistic process.

Kathy Teaman is offering a few excellent opportunities for authors and illustrators on her blog.

Have a great Wednesday!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Heather, your book dummy instructions are very helpful. Also, thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice dummy. I created a publisher doc with the pages laid out as a quarter of an 8 1/2 x 11 page so that I can insert my sketches and print out the ten page doc double sided, cut in half, fold and staple. Voila. : ) Fun to see how other artists set them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice, Alison! I've never worked with publisher, but that sounds like a great feature to have on hand.

      Delete